Air Cargo Development at SBD International Airport
SBD International Airport supports many aviation businesses, including air cargo operations. The Airport is an attractive alternative for air cargo operators due to its ideal location in the heart of Southern California, with easy access to the larger region and beyond.
The Eastgate Air Cargo development will support additional air cargo at SBD. The project is located on the north side of the Airport near 3rd Street and Victoria Ave. The facility will expand on the success of the public-private partnership between the Airport and Hillwood called AllianceCalifornia.
The AllianceCalifornia public-private partnership has created 12,645 new jobs on and around the former Norton Air Force Base, bringing in world-class companies like Stater Bros, Kohl’s, Mattel, Trader Joes, Pep Boys, Kohler, PepsiCo, Amazon among others. The project’s total economic impact thus far is estimated to be $2.7 billion.
With the Eastgate Air Cargo Facility, AllianceCalifornia will bring even more opportunity to the region with an estimated 1,700 jobs in the first year of operation—including pilots, aircraft support services, and logistics teams.
EASTGATE AIR CARGO FACILITY
- Over 1,700 jobs in the first year of operation, estimated to increase to nearly 3,900 by year five.
- Supported by Laborers’ International Union of North America, Local #783
- Growth in air cargo activity and operating revenue at the Airport
- Expands new economic activity in the region
- Utilizes environmentally-friendly practices that includes solar power (enough to power over 1,000 homes) electrically powered ground support equipment such as: cargo loaders, tugs, forklifts, aircraft power units, etc., electric vehicle (EV) charging stations, water efficient landscaping, and low VOC paints
- 658,500-square-foot building
- Two 25,000-square-foot maintenance buildings
- 41 acres of new aircraft ramp
- Approximately 2,000 employee parking spaces and 380 trailer parking spaces
- Road and landscaping improvements along 3rd Street
- Two new bridge crossings into the facility from 3rd Street
- 12-daily flights during first year
- 26-daily flights by year five