FAA Funds Taxiway Improvement Project at SBD International Airport

(San Bernardino, CA – September 23, 2015) The San Bernardino International Airport Authority (SBIAA) has accepted a U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) grant to fund the rehabilitation of more than 22,000 feet of taxiways at the SBD International Airport. This project will include improvements to concrete joint construction and related pavement repairs.

Rep. Pete Aguilar (CA-31) said, “I’m glad the FAA made this critical investment in San Bernardino International Airport.” He continued, “Improving our roads, rails, bridges and air transportation is key to getting our regional economy back on track and connecting the Inland Empire with the rest of the state and country.”

SBIAA Commission President, Mayor Carey Davis offered, “We extend our utmost appreciation to the Federal Aviation Administration who worked closely with SBIAA to ensure that this important airport improvement project received the attention and funding it deserved.”

Inland Valley Development Agency (IVDA) and SBD International Airport Executive Director, Michael Burrows said, “This FAA grant will increase the lifespan of SBD’s taxiway system, ensuring continued reliability in SBD’s first-class facilities for aviation users and the traveling public.”

In December 2013, the SBIAA Commission identified concrete joint re-construction of SBD’s taxiway system as the most critical pavement requirement, and authorized the SBIAA to submit, accept, and execute a $1,333,154 grant offer from the FAA to re-construct concrete joints and related pavement repairs.

The total construction cost of the Taxiway Rehabilitation Project is $1,481,282, with the FAA funding 90% of the project costs, and the remaining 10% funded through local sources.

Mark Gibbs, Director of Aviation at SBD International Airport adds, “The continued investment in SBD International Airport’s infrastructure helps us to better serve the growing demand for aviation in the Southern California region.”

About SBD International Airport – Located approximately 60 miles east of Los Angeles, the former Norton Air Force Base was converted to civilian use in 1992 and later became certified as a commercial airport by the FAA. The Airport offers a full range of services and facilities to aviation in the Southern California region, including the best-in-class FBO, Luxivair SBD, air cargo services, and four maintenance repair and overhaul (MRO) businesses. The Airport is positioning itself to provide domestic and international passenger service. www.sbdairport.com

For more information, contact:
Mark Gibbs
Director of Aviation
(909) 382-4100 Ext. 131
Fax: (909) 382-4106

# # #

Categorized In: Press Release
Tagged As: , , ,